Face paint and balloon art are great ways to keep children entertained during a birthday party, and it helps to bring together a theme! The great aspect of having a popular theme is that finding supplies only requires heading to the local party store, rather than searching online or doing it yourself. Party City has a list of the most popular girl and boy birthday party themes. For this post I’ll be focusing on popular girl themes, and next week I’ll post about the boys themes. However, there are some popular themed party supplies that can’t be bought at Party City; balloon twisters and face painters.
Most Popular Girl’s Party Themes:
- Balloon twisting can be tailored to every theme for every age. The video below is a great representation of how balloons can tailor to any theme! The hats would be a great way to tie in the party theme.
- While on the topic of balloon art, balloon decoration is another way to bring together any theme. Minnie Mouse balloon arches are especially amazing because it’s so obvious what theme the party is aiming at. Even if you decide not to go over the top with decorations this one single décor addition will be able show the guests what the theme is. Or if you are deciding to go over the top with decorations, then you really need a balloon arch!
- A super awesome craft and treat idea would be to make a ‘create your own Minnie cookie area’. Making the cookies before hand can be a great way to get the birthday girl or boy involved.
- Face paint, like balloon twisting, is a simple way to keep the party guests entertained. Children love having their favorite characters painted on their faces. Adults love it because face paint makes the kids happy! I adore the Minnie and Mickey face paint design below.
- One of the great things about princess birthday parties is that the party ideas are endless! Maybe it’s because there are so many princesses, or many it’s because they have been around for so long. Whatever the reason we aren’t going to question it. Just like party ideas, there are endless ideas for princess balloon art. Not only can Disney princesses be made into balloons, their companions can also. There are so many characters in Disney Princess movies so every party guest could get a different one if that’s what they wish.
- Side Note: If you’re looking for a summer Disney Princess party then check out my old blog post about throwing a Frozen party in the summer.
- Having a face paint princess crown on is a great way to make any birthday girl to feel like royalty. Just like balloon art, face paint for princess parties also has a lot of design options. Having glass slippers, princess companions, castles, crowns, or the princesses face painted on the partygoers faces are just some of the options.
- Decorating crowns is another way to entertain party guests. It’s also a great party favor for the guests to take home to their own castle.
One of my granddaughters was a major Hello Kitty fan growing up. The problem was that she really liked the cartoon before it was popular! Of course when it started getting popular she grew out of it. She would have loved a party like this.
- Hello Kitty face paint has to be done well. I’ve seen plenty of pictures where the kid’s face is entirely painted white, and they end up looking more like a ghost then hello kitty. The example below is a great example of good Hello Kitty face paint.
- Hello Kitty balloon animals are a bit harder to screw up then face paint. Unlike Disney princesses there aren’t as many ionic Hello Kitty characters to paint. So I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of party guests would also want more typical balloon animals.
- I spent a lot of time on Pinterest looking for Hello Kitty party crafts. I was actually super surprised by the lack of ideas. Even though Hello Kitty is a popular theme according to Party City, you can began to see how much harder it is to plan a less popular theme. Having face paint and balloon twisting is that much more important for unpopular themed birthday party, because it ties together a theme easily.
- The only idea I found that I thought was unique and special would be to make headband ears. Just like decorating crowns, this Hello Kitty headband ears would be a great keepsake and a dress up play toy for the guests.